The raft drew beyond the middle of the river; the boys pointed her head right, and then lay on their oars.
- The Black Avenger stood still with folded arms, "looking his last" upon
- the scene of his former joys and his later sufferings, and wishing
- "she" could see him now, abroad on the wild sea, facing peril and death with dauntless heart, going to his doom with a grim smile on his lips. It was but a small strain on his imagination to remove Jackson´s Island
- beyond eyeshot of the village, and so he "looked his last" with a
- broken and satisfied heart. The other pirates were looking their last,
- too; and they all looked so long that they came near letting the
- They built a fire against the side of a great log twenty or thirty
- steps within the sombre depths of the forest, and then cooked some
- bacon in the frying-pan for supper, and used up half of the corn "pone"
- stock they had brought. It seemed glorious sport to be feasting in that
- wild, free way in the virgin forest of an unexplored and uninhabited
- island, far from the haunts of men, and they said they never would
- return to civilization. The climbing fire lit up their faces and threw
- its ruddy glare upon the pillared tree-trunks of their forest temple,
- and upon the varnished foliage and festooning vines.